Saturday, January 31, 2009

GLUTEN FOR PUNISHMENT

Have you noticed that the price for an average sized pizza is creeping up, up and up? Any one of Round Table's large speciality pizzas runs about 20 bucks out the door.

Wifey is a Celiac and allergic to gluten. In plain terms, she can't eat anything with wheat, barley or grain in it. That makes it tough when eating out. A lot of restaurants use flour as a thickening agent for sauces or to bread cuts of meat. When Wifey orders a restaurant meal she always has to ask the server whether what she has ordered has any gluten product in it. You wouldn't think this would be a big deal but it can be.

We saw this little ad on line the other day. A local pizza parlor is offering a gluten free pizza. $17.75 for a 12 inch pizza with only sauce and cheese on it? Isn't that taking advantage of people with Celiac disease? Or is it that beggars can't be choosy? Hmmm.

As a friend used to say, somthing is better than nothing. So I guess a close to 18 buck pizza for someone who's allergic to gluten should be something they are thankful for.

It's more like they're glutens for punishment.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depends on if the pizza taste good or not. You could try it and if she likes it.. There ya go.

Ms Blither :)

La Roo said...

Why? Because they can. And it sucks.

Jes said...

I just read a very interesting article on celiacs and man oh man am I thankful I don't have any food allergies!

I can see it being a huge problem when you guys go out...I was amazed how much food that I would have thought was gluten-free was actually full of the stuff!

Bob said...

Anon: I am no gluten for that punishment.

Laroo: Yup.

Jes: Being a celiac is a real hassle for Wifey. I'm glad that I'm not.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States