Saturday, January 20, 2007

WE CAN SAVE PEOPLE FROM THEMSELVES, CAN'T WE?

In Knowing People 101, that class we all took in community college, didn't they teach us that we can save people?

When a relative or someone you know keeps screwing up their life it's"MAN OVERBOARD!", you throw a life ring at 'em, they grab it, they stop screwing their life up, they are forever grateful to you and they live happily ever after.

You saved them. Right? Yeah, right.

I wish life and people worked that way.

There's a little voice in the back of my brain that speaks up when I try to help or save someone from themselves.

The little voice always has a lot to whisper into this thing called a brain that's been with me since day one.

It says: "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make the horse drink it."

"People are about as happy as they let themselves be."

"You can't save people from themselves."

"I took my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry!" I don't know why the little voice keeps whispering that one to me but I think he probably owned a Chevy at some time in his life.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

"Shit happens to shitheads."

And . . . "Mind your own business!"

Candace and I . . . we have the best of intentions when it comes to what seem to be feeble attempts at stopping (helping?) people (relatives) to stop screwing up their lives. At least it seems like they're screwing up their lives.

Maybe they're not. Maybe they like life in chaos that has little or no consistency, stablility or logic.

Maybe it is a matter of tolerence and acceptance. What's acceptable and tolerable to to some is not acceptable and tolerant to others.

In this world of diverse thinking and all over the board life styles, they say opposites attract.
Does that mean if you love, love, to brush your teeth that you're attracted to someone who never brushes their teeth?

Does that mean we marry someone who is really screwed up so we can throw the life ring to them which in turn will make their life more meaningful?

Well, whatever the case, I have stopped saving people from themselves.

No can do.

Forget it.

Nada, no more, hasta la vista, adios amigo.

Minding my own business, that I am. Not looking over my shoulder to help anyone.

I'll save the life ring for the sailboat I'll buy this year. It will only be thrown to those sailing with me who fall over board (either by accident or who are pushed) who are worth saving.

If you are pushed overboard or ordered to walk the plank (ARRRR!) you can forget the life ring. It won't be happening. Sink or swim. Your choice. Just remember to keep your nose above water.

You may not want to go sailing with old Bob. I'm one of those moods.

You've been warned.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States