I cannot take credit for the following:
"If we could reduce the world's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics would look like this:
5 Americans and Canadians
8 Latin Americans
49 would be female
51 would be male
82 would be non white
33 would be Christian
67 would be non-Christian
5 would control 32% of the entire world's wealth
and all of them would be US citizens
80 would live in substandard housing
24 would not have any electricity
(And of the 79% that do have electricity
most only use it for light at night)
67 would be unable to read
1 (and only 1) would have a college education
50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation
33 would be without access to a safe water supply
1 would have HIV
1 near death
2 would be near birth
7 people would have access to the Internet
If to take a look at the world from a condensed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes evident.
Think of it!
If you woke up this morning with more health than sickness, you are luckier than the million that will not survive this week.
If you have ever experienced a war,
the loneliness of imprisonment,
an agony of tortures
or a famine
You are happier than 500 million persons in this world.
If you are able to go to church, mosque or synagogue without
fear of harassment, arrest, torture or death,
you are happier than 3 billion persons in this world.
If there is a meal in your refrigerator,
if you are dressed and have got shoes,
if you have a bed and a roof over your head,
you are better off than 75% of people in this world.
If your parents are still alive and still married,
then you are a rarity.
If you have a bank account,
money in your purse/wallet,
and there is some trifle in your
you belong to 8% of well provided
people in this world. "
Think about it.
- ► 2012 (94)
- ► 2011 (216)
- ► 2010 (276)
- ► 2009 (380)
- ► 2008 (376)
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY JILLI! Jillianna is 8 today.Seems l...
- I CAN WALK A STRAIGHT LINE, OFFICER Do I always di...
- MR. CLOWN HEAD According to Grace, this is Mr. Clo...
- DON'T LET THE YEARS THUNDER BY . . . Unless you've...
- SIMPLY RED . . . I forgot to mention it but during...
- SUSHI: IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER! I don't particular...
- MUST LOVE DOGS Jilli most always sleeps with her t...
- ONE MORE THOUGHT ON THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION "On a...
- HUMP DAY I like Wednesdays. Food articles are pub...
- THOUGHTS BEFORE THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS In...
- BOYS ARE ALWAYS BOYS The other evening one of our ...
- A CLINTON IS A CLINTON IS A CLINTON: NEED I SAY MO...
- ENOUGH ALREADY! Twenty five of our troops were ki...
- ON . . . OFF . . . ON . . . . OFF. . .. ON. . . OF...
- WE CAN SAVE PEOPLE FROM THEMSELVES, CAN'T WE? In K...
- THE GLACIER THAT SUPERSIZED(Would you like fries w...
- CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE Have you ever wonder...
- BLOG ENTRY # 150: OUT OF THE MOUTH OF BABES This e...
- CONSIDER THIS I cannot take credit for the followi...
- THE "WHAT ABOUT BOB STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES" LIBR...
- STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES I ask myself, 'Why do you...
- PHOTOGRAPHY 1A: LESSON NUMBER ONESomewhere in life...
- THIS TIME A HAIL MARY PASS WON'T CUT IT Ever check...
- SLEEP ON A CAMEL OR SLEEP ON THE GROUND? As elem...
- Hinky-dinky, parlez-vous? A lot of the old songs a...
- BACK WITH THE LIVING January 1st through the 5th w...
- NEW YEAR'S EVE: SUNDIAL BRIDGE Late New Year's eve...
- ▼ January (27)