Tuesday, January 16, 2007

BLOG ENTRY # 150: OUT OF THE MOUTH OF BABES

This entry is number 150.

Happy Anniversary!

The scene: Yesterday in the master bath, Grace taking a leisurely dip with all of her rubber duckies.

Candace leans down to wash Grace's hair.

G: Grammy?

C: Yes, Grace.

G: Grammy? Why are you old?

C: Why do you say that, Grace? Why do you think that I'm old?

G: Because all of the skin around your neck is like this (Grace makes a motion around her neck in a 4 year olds attempt to demonstrate what she means).

Thank goodness Grace didn't say anything about Candace's butt. Never ever talk about a woman's butt even if you're a female. Never. I have scars to remind me of this.

I have "old neck" but only on the left side - the side where the sun has beaten on my neck while driving and sailing. The right side is like the neck of a 30 year old. Old neck happens with a lot of sun.

Maybe if I stand with my right side to the fast food counter that offers of senior discounts will no longer be offered. I hate senior discounts.

Candace did a good job explaining to Grace how we're all different whether skin color, freckles, hair and what have you. Then there was the explanation of age as you get older and what happens to your body. I thought that Candace would be offended with her comments but instead she was pleased with the opportunity to bring some new information into Grace's life.

Never mind explaining that both of her grandparents are 15 times older than she is.

Being four years old I think Candace's lesson will have to be presented to Grace more than once for her to get it. Even at my age, I don't get this getting old thing and what happens to the body, mind and soul. Being 15 times older than Grace is a tough pill to swallow.

It's interesting to me that at age four Grace is conscious about what she wears. Last week she threw a royal fit over wearing a sweater that I recently bought her saying that it made it her look fat. At her mother's Grace is allowed to pick out what she wears each day. Apparently her mother has given up the daily war over what Grace should wear.

Giving up this early in Grace's life and allowing her to pick and choose what she wears to school is not something I'd recommend at age four. Patience. Guidance. Patience. Guidance. Guidance. And more patience. That's the role of parents.

After all, children learn what they live. . .

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States