Sunday, December 31, 2006

NEW YEAR ON THE SEVENS


Looking back on starting the New Year every ten years for twenty years:

1997: Living in Anchor Bay on the California coast, working part time by choice knowing life on those terms could not last another year. We had just closed the Fruit Basket for the season with resounding success selling Christmas trees.

The Fruit Basket was an open air produce market housed in a large barn like structure behind a popular coastal hotel and restaurant.

Owning the Fruit Basket was Candace's dream job. I drove south to pick up fresh fruit and veggies twice a week. She sold what I brought in by truck. The Fruit Basket made very good money because people liked buying from Candace and because we sold only the very best of fruits and vegetables.

Knowing we had to leave the coast so I could continue in my profession (limited opportunities there), we sold the Fruit Basket early in 1997.

We welcomed 1997 with friends at a local restaurant.

1987: Living in apple country. At this time I was president of a local service club. We were busy with jobs, Candace with Ralston Purina and I with a local school district. Jobs and the service club kept us hopping.

New Year's eve to welcome 1987 was spent with friends at their home - a tradition for us for many years. Other friends would join the party. Our friends always sent invitations asking everyone to bring their own drink along with food to share with the following warning: "No chips, no dips" meaning cheap bastards should think twice before bringing them to the party.


Candace is down with a cold this year. We'll greet 2007 quietly at home.

In Cow Town more than a few think it's fashionable on New Years to take their fire arms outside and let it rip.

What goes up must come down. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy an army helmet. That way I'd be protected if a stray bullet came through the roof of the house.

Ah, resolutions. Do you make them? I try not to. If I were going to make any promises for what I'd do or not do in 2007:

#1 SMILE MORE: I've been practicing when I'm out driving alone, keeping a smile on my face for long distances. It feels good.

#2 HUGS: I don't like being touched or hugged unless it's coming from Candace or my dog.

Maybe I could go into Rehab for this problem. Everyone else is doing it so I might give it a try to rid myself of the no hugging me or touching me problem I have.

Someone once said that rehab is for quitters.

#3 DO SOME OF THE THINGS I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO: Is this the year that I buy the Corvette I've wanted since age 16?

#4 SPEND LESS TIME ON RELATIONSHIPS THAT HAVE TAKEN MORE THAN THEY'VE GIVEN BACK.

#5 GET BACK TO EXERCISING: I did pretty well on the exercising scale this last year. I was in the gym 3-4 times a week for most of 2006. I've been a slacker in November and December.

#6 BUY THAT SAILBOAT - GET OUT AND USE IT!

#7 STOP BUYING NEW TRUCKS. I bought a new truck in 2006 and now I want to buy another new truck in 2007. This has got to stop!

#8 USE UP THE FREQUENT FLIER MILES: I hate flying. Maybe I should go into rehab for that, too.

#9 TRACE THE FAMILY TREE. I've never known anything about my father's side of the family tree. This is the year to check it out and maybe meet relatives I've never met.

#10. STOP THINKING THAT I SHOULD GO BACK TO WORK. Enough is enough.

If 2007 is anything like 2006 start to finish it's going to pass by quickly.

Enjoy the year, cherish each moment of 2007.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States