Saturday, May 10, 2008

PHEASANT ON AND NOT UNDER GLASS

While at Big Valley I have found that you can bag game birds without using a gun and without getting out of the truck.

This week I bagged one pheasant and one woodpecker.

Last week I done got me a quail. Right Goober, I did get me one of those puppies.

How do I bag a game bird without a gun or a trap? Easy. Drive like hell. Don't look around. BANG! At some point or another some flying critter will definitely hit the windshield and be killed dead right there.

I have to tell you when that pheasant hit the windshield of the truck this week I done thought that Bob had run over one of those Iraqi landmines. BAM! I said, "Whoa, Nellie! WTF was that?!"

It was late afternoon and I was in the middle of my "chi" trans-like state driving back to the house after a long day at work when this damn pheasant came out of nowhere. It was startling. That would be pheasant on glass and definitely not pheasant under glass.

For a minute I thought that someone was midget bowling and accidentally threw their midget onto my truck. Yup. That pheasant was midget sized.

Luckily the bird hit the corner of the windshield - my corner and not the middle. It probably would have smashed the window had it hit smack dab in the middle.

Anyway, bird hunting in the truck can be fun and entertaining. Only thing, it's hell finding whatever it was that I hit.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rambeau said...

I took out a crow once. It was like he was on the tracks with a train coming up behind him. Took off and kept flying in the same direction in front of me, and didn't have the sense to turn off!

Bob said...

Rambeau: I've eaten crow before. More than once.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States