Thursday, September 14, 2006

JUST ME ALONE IN BROOKINGS



When I travel alone I do silly things. You know the saying, "Dance like no one is watching". Well, no one is here to watch so I dance . . . in the shower, I dance just for the dog (who has the look, "What the hell is he up to now?") and all around the trailer. Then I get to drum my fingers and beat my hands on the table in time to the music. I'm not allowed to do this at home.

Then there's the new found trick, self photography. Here I am looking totally stupid while I snap myself in the mirror. I could have been dancing but the mirror was too high for me to catch those wildly dancing feet with the camera - you know, like John Travolta dancing feet. I suspect that this will be the first of many self portraits that I upload to this Blog. If Van Gogh were alive today, he'd be doing the same thing.

I always think that i never look my age. Yesterday I became acquainted during breakfast with an 84 year old self made millionaire. He just sat down at my table and introduced himself. I think this is the way they do things in Brookings. One of the first things he said to me was that he probably had 20 years on me. Since he looked as if he was all of 75 I thought to myself, "I never look my age." And when Bill said that he was 84 I again thought to myself, "Oh shit, the gig is up . . . I'm starting to look my age."

I learned more about Bill in the 40 minutes that we sat together than I've learned from anyone in that amount of time in years. I know that I'll see Bill again. He's just one of those guys who you always seem to run into. And Bill, like my mom, my dad, my mother-in-law and my father-in-law is one of a kind: They don't make 'em like that any more. Damn, that was a great generation of Americans.

It's clam pasta tonight, garlic bread, veggies, salad and a nice bottle of red. All in all, it's been another day in paradise. You don't know what you're missing.

Oh and another thing: I AM NOT 64 YEARS OLD! NOT!!!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States