Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Just When You Thought You'd Seen Everything

Bacon Candy Bars


In “Pulp Fiction” when Samuel Jackson’s Jules Winnfield says, “I just don’t dig on swine,” John Travolta’s Vincent Vega replies, “Bacon is gooooood.”

That widely-held sentiment also applies to chocolate, which is why Katrina Markoff of Vosges Haute Chocolatier combines the two. Her Applewood smoked bacon and Alderwood smoked salt Bacon Candy Bars come in milk or dark chocolate. Bars, $7.50

The manufacturer of this wonderful concoction says:  "I began experimenting with bacon + chocolate at the tender age of 6, while eating chocolate chip pancakes drenched in Aunt Jemima® syrup, as children often do. Beside my chocolate–laden cakes laid three strips of sizzlin' bacon, just barely touching a sweet pool of maple syrup. And then, the magic — just a bite of the bacon was too salty and I yearned for the sweet kiss of chocolate and syrup, so I combined the two. In retrospect, perhaps this was a turning point; for on that plate something magical happened, the beginnings of a combination so ethereal and delicious that it would haunt my thoughts until I found the medium to express it — chocolate.


From there, it was just a matter of time... and what began as a love of salt and sweet quickly unraveled into an obsession. No sooner could I wait to unveil the royal coupling in solid bar form, a deep milk chocolate with bits of pieces of applewood smoked bacon and just a sprinkling of Alder salt. Really, what doesn't taste better with bacon?"
– Katrina
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

I'd like my eggs over easy please with that bacon candy bar......

Or, hold the mayo on my BCBLT (bacon/candy bar, lettuce, tomato) sandwich.

1 comment:

La Roo said...

My mouth is watering. I love the whole sweet and salty thing! We'll have to give these a try.
My girlfriend from Michigan has a place where she buys a chocolate-carmel candy sprinkled with a little sea salt. Oh good gawd it's good. Every Xmas when she goes back to visit the family, we make sure she brings back the goods. :)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States