Thursday, December 24, 2009

'Twas the night before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house - not a creature was stirring WHAT WAS THAT?  A MOUSE?!!

Wifey and I are tucked into bed with visions of 100 dollar bills dancing in our heads.  Then, thud, thud.  It was the sound of something scampering across a wooden threshold just outside the master bedroom.  It's 11:30 p.m. and I'm awake all thanks to whatever it was that kept jumping around outside.

I open the slider to the patio and catch a glimpse of a little brown and black furry creature scurrying around the corner of the house.  Hmmmm.  Rat or mouse?  Too big for a mouse.  Could it be a rat?

We live in an area where wild land are on two sides of the property.  Deer (a mom and her two twins passed by yesterday), Coyote, Possums, Skunks, Bob cats, and bear along with an assortment of birds frequent this area.  To the rear of our property sits a ranch that's home to chickens and horses.  That alone tells me that rats and/or mice might migrate from there to here.

I tell myself to live and let live.  It's the Christmas spirit.  Why not feed the little rascals a holiday meal.  Yeah, why not?

A trip to the local hardware store yields a rodent meal fit for a rat or mouse.  You could also call it the Last Supper for right on the carton of "food" in bold letters is written:  FAST KILL!

I put out the Last Supper for my furry friends and know it's the right thing to do.  Rodents carry disease.  With our dogs, Gracie and her friends who frequent our home it's a matter of applying that ounce of prevention that is worth a pound of cure. 

First night:  Four sets of bait set out.  Come morning:  None left.

Second night:  Four sets of bait set out:  Come morning:  One left.

Third night:  Four sets of bait set out:  Come morning:  Four left.

Sorry little guys.  It had to be done for It 'twas the night before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring not even a mouse........

3 comments:

La Roo said...

Twas the month before xmas and all through the house a freakin little mouse ate the corner off my bathroom door. He really did, it looked like a pile of parmesan cheese. Little shit only lived 2 more days. My antique TM Cobb doors did not deserve that. :)
I guess it adds character??
Merry Christmas Eve, friend.

Bob said...

No way! Really?! I'd have killed the little fart, too. Sounds like he did too much antiquing of the door and deserved exactly what he got. Your TM Cobb door is now "rougher than a cob" or so the saying goes.

Deech said...

Bob,

As much of a pacifist as I know you are...it had to be done. I am glad for the sake of your family that you were able to put away your Buddhist tendencies.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States