Monday, October 30, 2006

I LOVE THE SMELL OF BACON IN THE MORNING

Remember this one?

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."
-Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now (1979)

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Bacon, son. Nothing in the world smells like that. I love the smell of bacon in the morning. You know, one time I cooked up 48 pounds of bacon, four pounds an hour for 12 hours. When it was all over I walked around. We didn't find any piece left of the bacon, not one stinking scrap of bacon. It had all been scarfed up. The smell, you know that bacon smell, the whole house. Smelled like . . . BLT sandwiches. Someday this war on hardening of the arteries is gonna end and I'm going to eat all the BLT sandwiches that I want.."
-Old Bob, Bob's Stupid Book of Things No One Wants to Know (2007)

What does the smell of bacon mean to you? When you smell bacon do you remember the days when mom cooked bacon for breakfast and the aroma made it's way to where you were sleeping? Or does the smell of bacon remind you of camping on a crisp morning at high altitude where each and every smell is accentuated with the essence of the forest?

I could eat bacon and lettuce sandwiches each and every day of my life. There's something about a BLT that is right. Right with the exception of what bacon does to the arteries. Why is something that is so scrumptious be so damned terrible even in small quantities?

In an effort to cut down on the intake of fat I tried turkey bacon. Once.

There's nothing like the smell of REAL bacon in the morning.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States