JILLI IS HOSPITALIZED
I am most upset. Here's what's happening. But first:
I brought Jilli home for the first time nine years ago with the idea of giving her to my mother-in-law as a companion.
But first, the wife and I wanted her house trained and well mannered. So we did that.
And during the course of what we were doing I fell head over heels in love with that dog of mine. Could not let her go. Could not hand her over to the mother - in law. Could not.
Jilli, when I'm with her - and that's not possible while I'm in the Valley working, sleeps with me (and the wife), will not let me out of her sight, has to ride in the truck with every opportunity, is nuts about playing ball or me hiding the ball somewhere in the house and she goes and finds it - which she does flawlessly and in quick time, regardless of where I put it.
Along with the wife, Jilli is an important part of my life. She's like one of our children.
Yesterday it was time for her geriatric exam with our vet. Yes, she's getting old - nine years is getting up there or so they say.
She's lively. She acts and looks like a pup. You'd never know she's ready for the rocking chair.
During the exam yesterday it is routine to insert a needle into a dog's bladder to extract urine.
During this routine something went wrong and Jilli began to cry out.
The wife was summoned to the vet's office. They were not certain what happened other than Jilli was in a lot of pain. They asked to sedate her and keep her overnight for observation. This was around 2:00 yesterday.
At 5 the Vet called and said that Jilli was crashing and going into shock . . . The wife and the daughter rush back to the vet's and fortunately their presence was calming to our dog.
Long story short, Jilli was taken to a specialist across town last night. The wife and daughter spent the night with her. We're hopeful all will be well and that our precious Jilli will come home with no on-going problems.
Last I spoke with the wife Jilli was sleeping peacefully in a cage in the animal hospital across town - under the covers just like in the first picture. She loves to be covered up.
I would have driven the 100 miles last night home to be with my dog but the roads were filled with snow and chains were required. Not having any chains I had to stay put in the Valley.
But it was helpful, reassuring know the wife and daughter were there with my girl.
Today we should know more about the long range effects, if any, of this mishap. And yes, the vet committing the mishap has taken full financial responsibility for righting this wrong.
And Dr. Vet, I will sue your ass off if for some reason Jilli is disabled or, heaven forbid - - - - that she doesn't make it through this. Your ass, Dr. Vet, will be mine.
Caring so much for an animal may sound nuts. At one point in my life - before this dog, I would thought anyone to be nuts to love a dog so much. To understand my feelings you'd have to get to know Jilli. She's one of a kind. She really is. I just a complete mess over what's happened.
I want to be on the beach playing ball with my dog and feel carefree again . . . the ocean in my front yard, a steak on the barbecue, a martini in the glass and Jilli on my lap.
Life does not get any better than that.
I hope to have better news tomorrow. Thanks for listening.
- ► 2012 (94)
- ► 2011 (216)
- ► 2010 (276)
- ► 2009 (380)
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY JILLI It would have been Jilli's te...
- ONE OF THOSE WEEKS I could have lived without this...
- I'LL SLEEP ON THE OTHER SIDE Wife: You change the ...
- SUNDAY HUMOR What did the elephant say to the na...
- EVEN RAISINS ON A STRING! It's snowing again in th...
- THINGS I DON'T GETErectile dysfunction commercials...
- Back On My Music
- MINUS 3 DEGREES: IS THIS STILL CALIFORNIA? It was...
- I'VE GOT TO GET A GRIP January 8th through this mi...
- JILLI: 1998 - 2008My girl was more than just a dog...
- JILLI IS HOSPITALIZED I am most upset. Here's wh...
- TMI TUESDAY 1171) Do you have/ever had any dating ...
- A HUNDRED MILES ! I'm back in the Valley. A hundr...
- REACH FOR THE SKY! Okay, we didn't have a male gra...
- What's Your Theme Song of Life?
- WHO'S NEXT? America, let's not screw this presiden...
- HOW I LIKE MY OPERA: WITH BULLETS!
- PROBABLY WOULD DO A BETTER JOB I shot this sign wi...
- SNOW IN COW TOWN It snowed a couple of days ago in...
- NAILING THOSE DUCKS IN A ROW While browsing throug...
- TMI #116 HAPPY NEW YEAR! Why not start out the New...
- ▼ January (25)
- ► 2007 (322)