Thursday, November 09, 2006

ANCHORS AWEIGH MY BOYS, IT'S VETERAN'S DAY!

Like Christmas, Veteran's Day comes once a year. Hoo ahhh! It's one of my favorite holidays. Since I'm a veteran there are lots of things I could do.

I can march in a parade, wave a flag and wear my old size 37 regular uniform that once fit a 156 pound 18 year old bod. The hat I once wore is too small. Old Bob, in all of his wisdom, has grown a fat head. The old service cap won't fit.

I can go to the Elks Lodge. At 11:00 a.m. every Veteran's Day a toast is lifted to honor our men and women who served our country. Everyone is given a shot of cognac. A shot of cognac hardly seems like an American drink to serve on that day. A shot of Bud would be right up there with the stars and stripes. Hooo ahh!

Our county has a newly dedicated Veteran's cemetary. There's a ceremony there on Saturday. I'll skip that one. There will be lots of time in the future for me to attend these gatherings, albeit below the surface.

On Veteran's Day I'm not going anywhere. In fact, I'm in my lazy boy chair for two days. Two. Why?

Veteran's Day is like Christmas . . . once a year. And once a year and every year around Veteran's Day American Move Classics (AMC) plays non-stop war films for two whole days.

I have my TV viewing area all arranged. Lazy boy oiled and ready for action. Fully stocked ice chest. Portable microwave on a table at arms reach. Napkins, plates, cups: check. I'm not moving and I'm not missing one bit of action.

It's war and I'm ready for battle. So what if they show a film more than once. After all, war is hell, isn't it?

Anchors aweigh my boys, here comes television at its Veteran's Day finest.

In case you're interested:


Friday, November 10

1:45 AM
Empire of the Sun

4:45 AM
The Night Riders

6:00 AM
Marines, Let's Go

8:15 AM
The Desert Fox

10:15 AM
Sink the Bismarck!

12:15 PM
Halls of Montezuma

2:45 PM
To Hell and Back

5:00 PM
The Green Berets

8:00 PM
Patton

11:30 PM
The Green Berets

Saturday, November 11

2:30 AM
The Desert Fox

4:30 AM
The Desert Rats

6:15 AM
The Glory Brigade

7:45 AM
To Hell and Back

10:00 AM
Twelve O'clock High

12:45 PM
Patton

4:15 PM
A Bridge Too Far

8:00 PM
Tora! Tora! Tora!

11:00 PM
The Enemy Below

Sunday, November 12

1:00 AM
Tora! Tora! Tora!

4:00 AM
The Enemy Below Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States