Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Just Another Day

It never ceases to amaze me how piddly ass shit consumes the better part of a day.  Take this one:

6:30 a.m. Home Depot buying fence boards and replacement heating/air conditioning vents for the rental.

7:00 a.m.  Fill the truck with diesel.  Wifey and the kids are using this this weekend for a trip to Oregon to visit an an aunt celebrating her 85th birthday.  Diesel has come down a bit and I fill the tank with 26 gallons (in a 36 gallon tank) worth $108.  The wife is likely to use 26 gallons at least in getting there and another 26 coming home.  While I fill the tank I wonder how folks do it with large motorhomes or trailers. . . .. the old saying that half the fun is getting there surely can no longer be the case. . . not at $4.26 a gallon for diesel.  Hells bells, where's the fun in that?

7:45 a.m.  At the rental finishing odds and ends.  I check the gardening area and think that I should replace the wooden borders.
 
8:30 a.m. Arrive at the marina to check the nuts on newly installed mooring cleats.  Lock nuts are not working.  The constant force exerted on the cleats is loosening the nuts.  Come to think of it, my nuts are feeling a bit loose, too.  BOB'S HANGING LOOSE!

I take time to visit with the young girl who LOVES MY FURLING JIB!  She tells me that her day launched his J24 sailboat yesterday and that it's on the hook in the marina.  I check it out.  Nice boat.  Nothing at all like Sparkle Plenty.

9:15 a.m. I drive to the second marina across the lake to check out where other Catalina 250's  are moored.  There are four with mine making a total of five on the lake.  I stop to talk with another sailor who is making repairs on his outboard.  He owns an older Catalina 25.  Nice guy.

9:45 a.m.  As I'm driving along the lake front an SUV stopped in the middle of the road waves me over.  They can't find NEED camp (a wilderness camp run by the local county office of education - -- and the camp that I once oversaw as part of my duties with the office of ed).   These people missed the NEED camp turn off miles back.  I tell them to follow me and that I'll get them there. 

10:00 a.m.  Back home.  Take the American flag down (you did know that yesterday was Flag Day, didn't you?).  Another banner is put in its place. 

10:20 a.m.  Return phone call to prospective renter.  Likely we'll accept this person's application tomorrow and sign a year's lease.  Three kids and a wife.  One kid in high school about to graduate.  Two girls homeschooled by their stay at home mom.  Dad is a big wig with the city of Cowtown and makes big bucks.  No doubt the rent will be paid promptly and in full each month.

10:30 a.m.  On the computer to make changes to the lease for the rental.

10:45 a.m.  Exercise the dogs.  It's warming up (over 88 already . .. and none too soon to tucker the girls out).

11:00 a.m.  I hear fire trucks heading south.  Check the net page of the local paper and find that the fire is in a field right by a friend's home...possibily in her field (who is out of town and likely unaware of the fire).   I make a several calls to see if we can't give her a heads up.

11:15 a.m.  I field several calls from Wifey.  She's shopping for replacement blinds for the rental and picking up a set of wooden blinds that have been repaired.  Wifey asks if I'd like steak for dinner.  Does a bear shit in the woods, I ask?

Noon:  I discover that I've not eaten a bite today.  Rummage through the refrigerator and find left over beef stew.  I heat it and eat it (and I'm a poet and don't know it).

12:30 p.m.  I check e-mail.  Several of interest the rest crap.  Why is it that crap e-mail seems to be the norm these days?  One from a high school friend who had been suffering from prostate cancer.  Seems that he's on the mend and likely in A-okay butt-hole condiiton.  Good news.  Another e-mail is in the bunch from a blogger friend.

12:45 p.m.  Sit down at the computer thinking of what, if anything, to post on the blog.  You've been reading the "if anything" which came to mind.

The day is nearly half over.  It's been busy but for some reason it feels somewhat pissed away.   I wonder if I am destined to spend the rest of my life this way.

It's likely a good thing to keep enjoying the pissing away each day part of life.  Things could be worse.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Whiskeytown Lake, Very Northern California, United States